Present day Piazza del Duomo, seat of the city cathedral from the earliest centuries of Christianity, was the site of an Episcopal complex consisting of baptisteries and basilicas, the structure, location and dates of which are still under discussion. Two baptisteries, Santo Stefano and San Giovanni alle Fonti have been documented as well as three basilicas: the vetus, the minor and the nova, the only one subjected to archaeological excavation, dedicated to Santa Tecla in the Early Medieval Period and Cathedral of Milan until its demolition in 1461.
Back to Top